Surgical technologist work under the supervision of a surgeon to facilitate the safe and effective conduct of invasive surgical procedures, ensuring that the operating room environment is safe, that equipment functions properly, and that the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety. The surgical technologist handles the instruments, supplies, and equipment necessary during the surgical procedure. They assist the surgeon during the operative procedure by carrying out technical tasks other than cutting, clamping, and suturing of tissue. They have an understanding of the procedure being performed and anticipate the needs of the surgeon. They have the necessary knowledge and ability to ensure quality patient care during the operative procedure and are constantly on vigil for maintenance of the sterile field.
- Promote the mission, vision, and values of the organization.
- Check supplies and equipment needed for surgical procedure.
- Set up sterile table with instruments, supplies, equipment, and medications/solutions needed for procedure.
- Perform appropriate counts with circulator prior to the operation and before incision is closed.
- Gown and glove surgeon and assistants.
- Help in draping sterile field.
- Decontaminate, reprocess and maintain flexible endoscopes and broncoscopes
- Pass instruments, etc., to surgeon during procedure.
- Hold retractors or instruments as directed by the surgeon.
- Sponge or suction operative site.
- Apply electrocautery to clamps on bleeders.
- Cut suture material as directed by the surgeon.
- Connect drains to suction apparatus.
- Maintain highest standard of sterile technique during procedure.
- Prepare sterile dressings and applies dressings to closed wound.
- Clean and prepares instruments for terminal sterilization.
- Assist other members of team with terminal cleaning of room.
- Prep the room for the next patient.
- Collaborate effectively with other disciplines as appropriate.
- Use problem-solving and conflict resolution skills to foster effective work relationships with team members.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Adhere to dress code, appearance is neat and clean.
- Complete annual education requirements.
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
- Report to work on time and as scheduled.
- Wear identification while on duty.
- Maintain regulatory requirements, including all state, federal and local regulations.
- Represent the organization in a positive and professional manner at all times.
- Comply with all organizational policies and standards regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicate the mission, ethics and goals of the organization.
- Participate in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement activities.
- Attend regular staff meetings and in-services.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification or must be obtained within thirty (30) days of hire
- Two years of experience preferred
- Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) certification preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to carry out all parts of the sterilization process
- Ability to determine appropriate course of action in more complex situations
- Ability to work independently, exercise creativity, be attentive to detail, and maintain a positive attitude
- Ability to manage multiple and simultaneous responsibilities and to prioritize scheduling of work
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all medical, financial, and legal information
- Ability to complete work assignments accurately and in a timely manner
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to handle difficult situations involving patients, physicians, or others in a professional manner
Physical Requirements and Environmental Conditions
- Physically demanding, high-stress environment
- Exposure to blood and body fluids, communicable diseases, chemicals, radiation, and repetitive motions
- Pushing and pulling heavy objects
- Full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients
- Manual and finger dexterity
- Hand and eye coordination
- Standing and walking for extensive periods of time
- Lifting and carrying items weighing up to 50 lbs
- Corrected vision and hearing to within normal range
- Working under stressful conditions
- Working irregular hours including call hours