Sign-On Bonus of up to $20k (DOE) with a 3 year commitment
Primary responsibility includes planning, organizing and directing the overall operation of the Laboratory Department. Activities included are performance of chemical, microscopic and bacteriologic tests performed in the laboratory to obtain data for use in diagnosis and treatment of diseases. Ensure that services are of the best quality, are cost contained and are carried out in an expeditious manner. Additional responsibilities includes recognizing results or problems that require referral to the Pathologist, assuring competency of all personnel, formulating the budget for the department, maintaining performance improvement activities within the department and participating in CQI activities and maintaining efficient and effective departmental operations in compliance with all state, federal, and local regulatory laws, standards and protocols.
- Promote the mission, vision, and values of the organization and exemplify them through laboratory
- Work with hospital administration on planning, organizing and directing laboratory operations and ensuring compliance with all local, state and federal regulations.
- Make daily rounds in Laboratory to judge effectiveness of operation, utilization of personnel and supplies, and general ethical and professional atmosphere.
- Secure and maintain the physical facilities, equipment and supplies which are required to carry out effective patient care and create an optimum physical environment.
- Initiate and actuate improved methods of services and direct their implementation.
- Prepare department budgets for personnel, operating expenses and capital equipment.
- Responsible for the fiscal operation of the department.
- Communicate appropriately and clearly to physicians, staff and administration.
- Interact professionally with patient/family.
- Consult other departments, as appropriate, to collaborate in patient care and performance improvement activities.
- Establish and maintain standards of performance and ensures competency and appropriate licensure of personnel.
- Direct and participate in the human resource management function for the department by coordinating the selection, promotion, orientation and performance appraisal processes.
- Coordinate the department’s in-service training.
- Communicate administrative directive to department personnel
- Promote effective intradepartmental relationships.
- Initiate, interpret and enforce Laboratory Services procedures and maintain and interpret hospital policies and procedures.
- Cooperate in planning programs and safety and preparedness for fire and disaster.
- Attend and participates in hospital committees, as appropriate.
- Responsible for the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of performance improvement and CQI activities.
- Responsible for providing 24/7 functionality of Laboratory Services.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Adhere to dress code, appearance is neat and clean.
- Complete annual education requirements.
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
- Report to work on time and as scheduled.
- Wear identification while on duty.
- Maintain regulatory requirements, including all state, federal and local regulations.
- Represent the organization in a positive and professional manner at all times.
- Comply with all organizational policies and standards regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicate the mission, ethics and goals of the organization.
- Participate in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement activities.
- Attend regular staff meetings and in-services.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Medical Technology, Biology, or Chemistry.
- Maintains current registration with the American Society for Clinical Pathology and/or equivalent accrediting agency.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification or must be obtained within thirty (30) days of hire
- Minimum of three years’ experience in the management of clinical laboratory
- Must have experience with regulatory and accreditation of laboratory operations, preferably CLIA, CAP, and AABB.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge clinical laboratory services.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to determine appropriate course of action in more complex situations.
- Ability to work independently, exercise creativity, be attentive to detail, and maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to manage multiple and simultaneous responsibilities and to prioritize scheduling of work.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all medical, financial, and legal information.
- Ability to complete work assignments accurately and in a timely manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to handle difficult situations involving patients, physicians, or others in a professional manner.
Physical Requirements and Environmental Conditions
- Work is performed during regular work hours, but will require evening and/or weekend hours to meet deadlines.
- Work in varying degrees of temperature (heated or air conditioned).
- Work under extreme pressures.
- Position requires sitting for approximately 4-6 hours per day and walking for 2 hours per day.
- Position requires light to moderate work with 50 pounds maximum weight to lift and carry.
- Position requires reaching, bending, stooping, and handling objects with hands and/or fingers, talking and/or hearing, and seeing.