Under general direction, cleans all areas of the hospital by performing routine cleaning of patient rooms, nursing units, offices, clinical areas, waiting areas, lobbies, lounges, restrooms, and corridors. Demonstrate ability to utilize the appropriate chemicals and supplies according to procedure.
- Promote the mission, vision, and values of the organization
- Performs all assigned tasks in a professional manner in order to reflect the highest integrity of the Environmental Services Department.
- Performs routine cleaning of patient rooms, nursing units, offices, clinical areas, waiting areas, lobbies, lounges, restrooms, and corridors in a clean, neat and sanitary manner.
- Performs terminal/detailed cleaning of the OR rooms by following check list or as instructed by OR personnel
- Completes work assignments in a timely manner.
- Utilizes the appropriate chemicals and supplies according to procedure.
- Uses and maintains equipment properly.
- Assists visitors with directions whenever requested.
- Always introduces self to patients, families and visitors.
- Reports safety hazards as appropriate.
- Transports trash and hazardous waste to appropriate disposal area.
- Replenishes supplies.
- Follows all infection control practices including hand washing techniques, Standard Precautions and isolation precautions.
- Maintains set quality standards when performing job duties.
- Works day, evening or night shifts as assigned.
- Ability to do work on his/her own with normal supervision.
- Observes safety precautions at all times.
- Maintains age specific safety precautions.
- The ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to read and understand equipment operation manual.
- Cleans and maintains carpet and tiled floors by using heavy equipment to clean, strip and wax floors on a rotating basis.
- Cooperate with other personnel to achieve departmental objectives, maintain good employee relations and interdepartmental objectives.
- Enhance professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, trainings, current literature, in-service meetings and workshops; shows responsibility for own professional practice and ongoing education.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Adhere to dress code, appearance is neat and clean.
- Complete annual education requirements.
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
- Report to work on time and as scheduled.
- Wear identification while on duty.
- Maintain regulatory requirements, including all state, federal and local regulations.
- Represent the organization in a positive and professional manner at all times.
- Comply with all organizational policies and standards regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicate the mission, ethics and goals of the organization.
- Participate in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement activities.
- Attend regular staff meetings and in-services.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to communicate effectively in English
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of environmental services
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to determine appropriate course of action in more complex situations
- Ability to work independently, exercise creativity, be attentive to detail, and maintain a positive attitude
- Ability to manage multiple and simultaneous responsibilities and to prioritize scheduling of work
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all medical, financial, and legal information
- Ability to complete work assignments accurately and in a timely manner
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to handle difficult situations involving patients, physicians, or others in a professional manner
Physical Requirements and Environmental Conditions
- Working irregular hours including call hours
- Physically demanding, high-stress environment
- Exposure to blood and body fluids, communicable diseases, chemicals, radiation, and repetitive motions
- Pushing and pulling heavy objects
- Full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients
- Position requires light to moderate work with 50 pounds maximum weight to lift and carry.
- Position requires reaching, bending, stooping, and handling objects with hands and/or fingers, talking and/or hearing, and seeing.